Work With Us...
CALL is Currently recruiting a part-time archives assistant. Recruitment is open until the position is filled.
Position: Studio Assistant – Archives
Reports to: Studio Manager / Archivist Consultant
Location: 349 Greenwich Street, New York, NY 10013
Commitment: 15-23 hours per week (hours may be flexibly set Tue- Fri). ASAP start date
CALL // City as Living Laboratory’s mission is to harness the creative practices of artists in collaboration with the skills and knowledge of scientists, experts, and communities to improve the environment. CALL’s programming is supported by in-depth research and is designed to directly influence how people encounter and experience current environmental challenges. CALL’s aim is to enrich people’s capacity to make meaning of these challenges and assist broad urban audiences in discovering agency, purpose and a voice in setting priorities for solutions. Founded by artist Mary Miss in 2009, CALL produces large scale, ambitious projects which grow out of grassroots environmental concerns in the cities and neighborhoods they are situated in.
CALL is seeking a studio assistant to help organize the digital archives of CALL and Mary Miss’s work. Ideal for a master’s level student or early career creative professional, this project requires a high level of meticulousness and an attention to detail.
- Supporting the continued development of the Mary Miss Studio and CALL archives by:
- Organizing all digital files, cross-referencing between the archive and project files to ensure highest resolution images are archived and implementing uniform organizing principles to project folders and archive
- Creating a clear list of projects which need higher resolution documentation or updated photography
- Re-scanning film slides and negatives as needed for higher resolution images
- Re-labeling digital documentation according to a standardized naming convention
- Maintaining a detailed, uniform spreadsheet of file names and projects, to be used in the creation of an archive database at a letter date
- Updating Websites with documentation from new projects and events
- Cataloging, organizing & storing physical artwork, ephemera and photo/slide/video archives in studio according to conservationist recommendations
- Creating PowerPoint presentations for lectures and events
- Fielding Image and loan requests
- Supporting Mary Miss Studio as needed with additional administrative tasks
Successful applicants will demonstrate:
- Prior administrative experience, with working knowledge of excel
- Meticulous attention to detail with high level organizational skills
- Reliability, trustworthiness and commitment to responsibilities
- An basic understanding of web content management (we operate a squarespace site and a wordpress site)
- General understanding of digital imaging (i.e. how to read the meta data of an image, the purposes of different file extensions, how to evaluate quality and size of images)
- Good time management and problem solving skills
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently when needed
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom a plus
- Prior experience of creating or maintaining an archive
- Knowledge of contemporary art, particularly land and environmental art
- Interest in issues of sustainability and how art can help build a more sustainable future
Please send a resume or CV and one-page cover letter detailing your interest in the position and relevant experience to email@example.com
Reports to: Studio Manager / Artist Lead
Location: Van Cortlandt Park and Surrounding Area
Commitment: 5 Sundays from 11:30 AM -5:00 PM between September 16th & October 14th
CALL is seeking a driver to tow Finding Tibbetts 2.0, a model mobile wetland on a 8'x18' flatbed trailer to different locations in the Bronx on Sunday afternoons in September and October.
- Arrive at storage site at 11:30am
- Hitch trailer to your truck
- Drive to designated location
- Be available on site at the event in case the trailer needs to move at anytime
- Tow trailer back to storage site at 4:30pm
- Unhitch trailer and leave securely
- Clean Driving Record
- Vehicle capable of towing a 8x16 flatbed trailer
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest.